Monday, June 29, 2009

The Little Boy Who is Teaching Me About My Son

I have been working closely with a little 3 year old boy who is autistic for the past week or so. Knowing him has changed my life. He is a tiny, brown hair little boy with pale skin. He talks a little bit. He can name some animals and he can say "No!". He came to me not knowing how to request something that he wants. He would take my hand and lead me to the object of his desire, but he could not request it verbally or with signs. I learned quite quickly that he liked to squeeze things, especially when he was frustrated. For example, if someone wouldn't give him what he wanted, he would pinch. If he was feeling frustrated with me, he would find the nearest piece of my skin and squeeze. I quickly found a squishy ball to replace my skin :)

This little boy loves pressure. He loves to press his face against me. He loves hugs. He loves to be squeezed when he hugs. I have noticed that Luke likes the same things. So, I went home and hugged Luke. I squeezed him tight and said, "Mommy loves Luke". His reaction was priceless. He smiled and laughed and squeezed me back. The little boy I am working with has taught me how to bond with my son.

I love each of the four boys that I am working with. They have such a hard road ahead of them, but the right teachers can make all the difference. I am hoping that I will have as big of an impact on them as they have had (and will continue to have) on me. They are helping me face the reality of having a son with a disability.

4 comments:

The Ninja Boy said...

Dear Faith,

I agree with you that they have such a hard road ahead of them, but the right "teachers" can make all the difference. I really hope so much our teachers here where I live will do the same. Not forgetting a blog like yours teaches us well too.

Faith Without Sight said...

Thank you for your comment. I started blogging so that other people could read it and learn. I really want to show people the emotions that occur when you have a child with a disability. It has been the most joyful and the most traumatic thing that has happened to me. I read your blog also... please tell me a little about you and your son. Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

They certainly do have a rough road ahead. My son is four. He's autistic. I fear what the future will hold...

The Ninja Boy said...

Sorry I didn't know that I need to check my email for the posts:) I used to work in management dept and was a part time pilates teacher.

Akmal is a non-verbal but understands a lot more as he grows. he only immitate but at times when hes in urged wanting something he could say "i want", before saying that, he beat up himself and shout. Thats the expression of his frustration that him cant speak. When in public, I'm sure you can imagine that the public eyes were on us. I describe him someone delays in speech and he enjoyed things in few minutes then he turned away for other thing. He sang a lot, the songs without lyrics. The doctor said that's autistic. So I studied about him myself. The kids that we have keep us occupied then keep us companied. I try to treat him like normal and pray that his brain find that "switch" in whichever vein would be, for him to speak. Happy 4th July to you ya:)