Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Immunizations and Today's Doctors Appointment

Prior to last week, Luke has not had any immunizations. I have done some research supporting immunizations as well as some research not supporting giving immunizations to children. When Luke was born, I decided that I did not want to take chances with immunizations.

He turned two a couple weeks ago. I know that he will be going to a pre-k program in two years, so (with much reservation) I took him to get his first immunization. During the appointment I expressed that I was worried about it because I didn't want to ruin the good thing we had going. Luke spent the first 15 months or so of his life chronically sick. He seemed to always be congested and always seemed to have problems breathing. After beginning the gluten free and dairy free diet and giving him supplements, Luke's health drastically improved. He has not been sick since early spring this year (2009). I was worried that giving an immunization would cause his health to regress. Even with my reservations, I chose to allow him to receive the first Hep B shot.

It has been less than a week and he is sick. He is congested and has been running a fever for two days. So, is this just a coincidence? Would he have gotten sick anyway? or... was the immunization the cause of the sickness? I don't believe that the immunization caused the specific illness, but I do believe that it caused Luke's immune system to struggle, therefor, his body could not fight the germ that was introduced this past week. So, now, Luke is feeling yuck, I am feeling yuck, and so is Sydney.

I don't think I have posted my full explanation of beliefs about immunizations. I may have to do that soon.

I have an appointment with Luke's doctor today to talk about diagnosis. I am feeling a bit stressed about. It's a long story as to why I am stressed. I do not wish to share the story. I hope it goes well... I really wish my husband were going with me.

1 comment:

Carnley said...

Sorry that happened! You know florida has a religous exemption that you can do for Pre-K programs and public schools, right! They HAVE to accept it in order to get funding!! We have done some vaccinations, but have decided not to do anymore! I felt so pushed into it and my docs still make me feel guilty, but it is my child and my decision! DOn't let anyone push you!