Thursday, August 6, 2009

Updates and Cool Stuff

Luke is doing really well! He has started crawling on elbows and knees. He's pulling up on his knees. I am so glad that he doesn't take the seizure medicine anymore.

Logan is going into 2nd Grade. Sydney's going into 1st grade and Gracie's going into Kindergarten. I can't believe how fast all four of my children are growing. School starts in a couple weeks and it has gotten me thinking about what I want for Luke this next school year. I want him to receive therapies that are more tailored to his communication delays. He gets PT, OT, and Speech, but the speech therapies do not provide him with a way to communicate his needs. I want him to learn some signs. So, he could tell me if he wants milk or water, or if he wants food or if he wants a specific toy.

This is where the diagnosis comes in. He cannot receive those tailorized services without an autism related diagnosis. So, I met with his neurologist who says that all of his genetic tests have come back normal and it may takes years (and a lot of money and traveling) to figure out what syndrome Luke has. We don't have the money to travel the world trying to figure it out. He told us that it isn't life threatening, so we could wait. I then asked him why no one has talked to me about autism. He acted shocked. I read him my list of reasons I believe Luke has autism and he finally agreed. He would not diagnose, though.

This month he will have his well-child check-up and I am going to bring my list to his pediatrician. We are having to take baby steps, but at least we are moving forward!

Other exciting family news-
Sydney learned how to ride her bike without training wheels this past weekend. She also learned how to tie her shoes. I got a part time ESOL position in Escambia county and will be going back to school this fall. I will be pursuing my Master's Degree.

No comments: