Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Challenging Day

Today was a challenging day. Before telling about the day, I will begin with Monday. Luke had a fever and a runny nose Monday. By last night, he was fine. His congestion had mostly disappeared. Life was good. This morning, I woke Luke up at the normal time 6:30am. I take him to PapPaw every day. I noticed that he had a "barking" cough. By the time we got to my dad's house, Luke was hardly breathing. He was coughing so much that all he could get in were a couple gasps. So, Mom put him in the shower with her. It didn't help. I decided to take him to the emergency room. I was pretty freaked out.

After a breathing treatment, Luke was doing fine. I think the experience brought some things to a head for me. Luke weighed 17 pounds at his well-baby check up when he turned a year old. Now, he weighs 15 and a half pounds. So, where did the pound and half go? His weight has been an issue for some time now. He is failing to thrive. I just don't understand it. Is he ever going to grow? He seems to be stuck at 6 months old. Every time we see some progress, something happens that causes another step back. It is so frustrating.

I have decided that having a genetic study done at Shands in Gaineville is the next logical step. The study may be inconclusive or it may point to a clear problem. I don't know. I do know that it will at least rule out some things. The problem with the genetic study is that we will have to pay for the entire trip. We will have to pay for meals and stay in a hotel. Where is the money going to come from? Who really knows! I know that God has provided and I know that He will continue to provide. I have no doubt in that.

I just desperately needs some answers.

No comments: