Monday, May 6, 2013

Professionals Wear Masks Too!

Ok, I must begin this blog by saying that this is not about a specific person. This is about a group of people who call themselves professionals, yet are something so different behind closed doors. The words that come out of their mouths are so toxic. Do these educator professionals not realize that, if it weren't for the people they speak so poorly about, they would not have jobs?

There have been so many situations where I have heard professionals verbally bash parents. They take the stance that the parent "must not work with their child at home" or that "this child is just B-A-D". It also seems to me that, when a parent is having scheduling conflicts with a meeting with the teacher or IEP team, the parent "does not have their priorities in order".

When I chose to become an educator I truly thought that all other educators shared my passion, love, and compassion for students and their families. Don't get me wrong, there are some amazing people in education that have the biggest hearts and give so much to their students. I guess my opinions have changed since becoming a mother of a child with special needs. My child has been judged. The worst has been assumed. My family has been torn to shreds. Every thing we do seems to draw attention. I am not alone in this struggle. I have heard so many people pour out their souls to me as they grieve over the struggles they have been through and are going through now.

The emotions are so real to me. I am walking through the struggles and the joys. My heart hurts for those who are going through the same. It almost consumes me. How judgmental I have been in the past and how absolutely wrong I was. You cannot just assume the worst. I look at others as Jesus does. My child puts forth so much effort just to achieve a milestone that others just take for granted. He is not lazy. He is not spoiled. He is strong- stronger than those who are judging him.  He is human and he has a special calling. God is using him- God is changing me through him.

I must fight this and educate the educators. Oh God, open doors and help me be more like you. Let me see the best in others and not judge. Let me be your light.

 My sleepy Lukie- My Heart!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just read your blog post and im really happy someone else knows how some of these family's go through. My son was in a horrible school with a teacher who just was nothing but evil to him. He didn't progress in her class he was in for 3 years, he is a very sweet boy but gets upset very easy. She gave him right ups 3 times a week and was restraining him almost every day in class. He got "Red faces" everyday and there was always a note about how horrible he was. he never acted up at home like they said he did at school, he even had to go to the emergency room while in her care... then they started crossing the line making cps reports that stated "XXXX Wears sandals and his feet get dirt on them" and "He has a scrape on his foot" well its his bad foot he drags from his CP... Cps laughed there way through these reports with us and we had to change school because our family was trying to be torn down.. we had to take him out of school and put him in a new class and in this school year has NEVER been written up once, no threats of being expelled and has been restrained only once ever 2 months and its just a helmet for his safety, this year his vocabulary has tripled and he is even reading kindergarten books now... his new teacher has changed our life forever... ESE teachers have the power to make huge impacts that last forever... i wish more of them took advantage of it...