Sunday, May 29, 2011

Our Movie Experience

So, we took all the kids to see a movie today- Kung Fu Panda 2. I just so badly wanted to do something fun. I wanted to see a movie. I guess I was feeling selfish. There are so many things I can't do with Luke. He is sensitive to extreme heat and sunlight and cold. He is light sensitive and sound sensitive as I found out during the 15 minutes I was able to stay in the movie.

Luke became extremely overstimulated. He started stiffening and flapping his hands. Then, the high pitched sounds started. The sounds turned into screams, so I just took him out of the theater and walked him up and down the hall. He continued to flap and scream. It wasn't that he was upset. He was excited. After 30 minutes of walking, he had calmed enough for me to carry him to the bathroom. Then, I found a table in the lobby and we sat for 45 minutes.

So, what have a I learned? Luke does not do well at the movies. So, I should not be so selfish to take him into a place that causes him such sensory overload. I will stay just stay home with Luke and let Marty and the older kids enjoy themselves.

I hate the fact that Luke can't enjoy the things that his neurotypical sibling do. I guess, I am upset. I so wanted it to work. It just doesn't.

2 comments:

April said...

Jamie, this is a common occurrence with Hailee. We have only sat through 2 movies all the way. Most of the others, not many, we make it about an hour. However, I always bring her favorite chips... almost the whole bag, pop tarts, or whatever she is eating well at that time. I too want to be "normal" sometimes. But we love our babies and find the joy in other things. God gave us these children because he knows the love we have for them even when we have our selfish moments.

Florida_Mom said...

There will be a sensory friendly movie in gulf breeze July 17th I believe. I will post details on the facebook group.