Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Thought Provoking


I saw an old friend the other day at my grandmother's place. My old friend looked good. She has two children. One is 4 and is autistic. The other is around 3, I think. She had a chance to meet Luke. She knelt down by his stroller and talked to him like he was a normal two year old. Most people do this, but I always feel awkward. With her, I didn't. I knew that she has been through the same thing. She asked if Luke was ok with being touched. Her son was comfortable with touch. I told her that he is comfortable with touch. She was good with Luke. It was neat to see.

My son is extraordinary. He smiles and likes to be touched. He will cuddle with me or Marty. Last night, I was holding him while I was sitting on the couch. Luke pulled up on my shoulders and pressed his face against mine. He was smiling and laughing and babbling. Times like those are "Jaime Therapy". Something my heart and soul needs.

I cannot imagine how mothers feel when they give birth to a child who does not like their touch. It is innate for a mother to touch her child and for the child to find comfort and healing in this. I have heard many stories where a child has been deathly ill and the mother has held the child, bare skin to bare skin and this provided healing for the child. I guess I have never really given Luke the chance to reject my touch. I do not push him beyond his boundaries, yet I always take advantage of his good moods. He hated showers, yet I always took time to bath with him. I held him, bare skin to bare skin. He would fuss for a while, but find comfort in my arms. He hated the water, but my presence helped him push himself beyond his sensory issues.

I will admit that Luke spends a lot of time playing, by himself, on the floor. A typical child would demand attention and therefor receive attention. Luke does not demand it, and does not get as much attention as the other children in our family. Sometimes guilt creeps in, but I do what I can to not allow it to stay. It doesn't change anything. Luke is different. I make sure his basic needs are met, but I have to get things done in my house. None of my kids get an extreme amount of attention. I, more or less, expect them to entertain themselves. Right or wrong, it's what has to be done in a family of 6. It's amazing how we all fit into our place and space in our family. Even Luke fits. Our family has a lot of work to do, but we are blessed to have each other. Every child and each adult is worth the work.

No comments: